Monday, July 12, 2021

The Caffeine Story (Dec 2020)



Index of Journals
Am a horrible storyteller. Before I went to Toastmasters and before I actually sat down to write stories like this one, I had always thought that I would do great in public speaking. I was wrong. At Toastmasters, I learnt that a good speech always consists of three parts. The beginning. The body. The conclusion or ending, you might say. It wasn't just the Toastmasters that conveyed this structure for a story to me, I remember visiting a Psychologist and what Anupama (the Psychologist) asked me to do was write three stories based on some images she showed to me. The activity was part of the Thematic Apperception Test. I do want to present to you my dear reader a story, not facts and figures, and not off the topic moaning and crying but somehow most of the posts are like that only. My first high Caffeine dose episode was in 2008 when I was preparing for IIT-JEE. At that time to stay awake at night, I used to take a glass of tea instead of a glass of milk. My glass of milk would be on my table by 10 PM or so, and from that I would prepare my tea around 12 to pull up studies for till 3 (midnight) or 4 in the morning. The second might have been in college during exams but I would not bring them up here as those days have already been written about in great detail. The third episode was when I was doing MTech while working for Mobileum. A couple of nights such as the ones I had spent dozing on caffeine while preparing for Distributed Computing. I had to go through all the DC videos before that exam and the exam was supposed to happen on the weekend so I stayed at work in the video conferencing room outside of the secured area and watched the DC videos. The way I was dozing on caffeine was that I had either tea, crushed bean latte, or coke and I would have to take a sip everytime that I would yawn in between studying. I went home around 4 AM and could not sleep, I got back to the office around 8 AM and researched about caffeine overdose and ate bananas 'after reading from the internet'. By 2:30 PM, I was back at home due to headache and sleep. The fourth episode and also the last one was in 2019 and 2020. Before the 2020 lockdown, I remember there were days at work when I was roughly (on the lesser side) drinking 8 cups of latte in a day. During the 2020 lockdown, after August, I was making tea from milk alone and it tastes very good and silky. But I ended up being diagnosed with Anxiety and Panic formally by a psychiatrist by December 2020. So yes, caffeine is not good for health and it is addictive and it is America's number one drug. Tags: Behavioral Science, Emotional Intelligence, Indian Politics, Journal, Politics, Psychology

No comments:

Post a Comment