Sunday, July 4, 2021

Dr Shashi Sethi and Angela Chandel (Nov 2020)



Index of Journals
Let's go to the time of Diwali 2020.

Saturday, 14 November, 2020

Midnight of a day or two before Diwali, my psychologist was going to pass away from heart attack.

At first moment, I didn't even bother except for the rush of the hormones in the body that accompany when you hear about loss of someone whom you knew personally.

To this day, I seem to be holding grudge against her for what she had said to me near the end of first meeting.

"We can fix you", she had said.

At that moment, I wanted to tell her what Charles Xavier had told adolescent Jean Grey that there is nothing to fix as am not broken.

She was single handedly managing the Issh Guidance and Counseling center.

30-40 interns (mostly young women, undergraduates).

Two other staff:
Anupama Gambhir, 7 years of experience then. [But does not speak English fluently]
And Angela Chandel, 2-3 years of experience.

Roughly three days after Dr Shashi passed away, there was an online (due to Covid-19) and public grievance (obituary) ceremony for her.

Angela forwarded me the invite for that on an afternoon when I was at work with Anil Dahiya.

Angela's life was going to take an unprecedented turn.

I thought I would support her by taking help from her as she had written in one of the texts:
    
Please let us know if you need further help.

I took one session from her. Telephonic. An hour long at a not so good negotiated price.

Network problems didn't also allow us to have video call. We didn't even try it, she was in Himachal, Kasaul and network coverage was poor in her area she said.

What hurt me was that she was difficult person to approach if this is not about counseling.

It would be wrong to say that the first session I had with her was futile. She taught me things, cleared my doubts and gave me a direction with which I was going to lead my life that time onwards.

Tags: Behavioral Science, Emotional Intelligence, Indian Politics, Journal, Politics, Psychology

No comments:

Post a Comment