There Is a Treasure Under Your Seat: The Hidden Difference Between Genius and the Rest of Us
I need to tell you something right at the start. There is a treasure under your chair. Not a metaphor for motivation, not a figure of speech. A literal instruction. But before you reach down, let me tell you why you probably will not do it until the very end of this post, and why that hesitation is the same reason most people never tap into the genius that is already inside them.
We tend to believe that the world is divided into two kinds of people. On one side are the geniuses: the ones who always seem to have the best ideas, the craziest breakthroughs, the kind of inspiration that feels like it comes from a completely different planet. On the other side are the so-called boring people. The ordinary ones. The ones who simply go through life doing the next task, solving the next problem, never inventing anything that changes the world.
But what if I told you that what separates these two groups is not what you might think? It is not something you can see easily. It is not talent. It is not raw intelligence. It is not even skill. The thing that makes a person seem like a genius is hidden, and it begins with something surprisingly simple: attention.
The Wrong Tool and the Noise-Cancelling Headphones
A few years ago, I was in my studio. My wife and I are both artists, and we share the same workspace, which is both a beautiful and a slightly chaotic arrangement. One day I was downstairs trying to pull some nails out of a piece of wood. I pulled and pulled and pulled, getting more and more frustrated. The funny part was that I was using the completely wrong tool. It was not designed to pull nails out of wood at all. The even funnier part was that the right tool was lying right next to me, exactly where I needed it.
My wife came in and watched me for a while. She tried to get my attention. "Sebastian, babe," she said, "that's the wrong tool." But I did not hear her. I had my large, noise-cancelling headphones on, and they were doing exactly what they were designed to do. She tried a second time, a third time, a fourth time. Nothing. Finally, she got so frustrated that she threw something at me. Startled, I looked up and thought, who is interrupting my creative process? But it was only my wife, pointing at the other tool and telling me to try it.
I looked at the right tool. I was genuinely surprised that it had been sitting there the whole time. I picked it up, and within one minute the nail was out. I felt embarrassed, of course. But then I thought about that moment more deeply, and I realized something important.
This is exactly what happens to all of us in life. We walk around wearing invisible noise-cancelling headphones. Not the ones you can buy in a store, but the ones we create inside our own heads. We carry our own mental noise, our own preoccupations, our own narrow focus. And because of that, we do not hear the voices, the happenings, and the quiet instructions that could change our way of working, our way of thinking, and completely change our lives.
Big Ears, Wide Lenses, and the Art of Paying Attention
Now let us return to those crazy, interesting people we call geniuses. It is tempting to think they are simply more talented than the rest of us. Some of them are, of course. But that is not where it starts. The hidden ability they have is that they have big ears, metaphorically speaking. They pay attention. I do not know how they learned it, or whether some of them were born that way. But one thing is certain: those people are paying attention more than the other group. And the other group is not only failing to pay attention to the voices and happenings around them; they are actively letting themselves be distracted by those invisible headphones.
The major key to what I call a genius spirit is attention. It is the learned ability to observe what is happening in the visible world, and even more importantly, what is happening in the invisible world. To remove the headphones. To notice what is right next to you while you are busy pulling at a nail with the wrong tool. To be able to do something more than just what you are currently focused on.
Think of a photo camera with a super zoom lens. When you use that lens, you see only a very narrow field in front of you. You are focused on one small patch of reality, and everything else is black. Now imagine a wide-angle lens. You see much more. You see things that are completely hidden from the super zoom lens. There are people who live their entire lives with the super zoom lens on, constantly focused on the next to-do, the next solution, the next task. That is not wrong in itself. But when you live that way, you might miss something extraordinarily important. You might miss the one thing that could change your life. And often, that thing does not arrive through a sophisticated process. It arrives as a small voice, a quiet thought, a tiny hint in the field of attention.
The Ancient Secret of Genius and Inspiration
What I find fascinating is how people in ancient times thought about creativity, art, and genius. If we look back to around 400 B.C., philosophers, artists, and poets did not believe that creativity belonged to a brilliant person. They believed that genius was a spirit. A separate entity that came to a person and inspired them. In their view, the artist was not generating the idea. The artist was simply being inspired and impregnated with an idea by a divine force. That force, sometimes called the muse, would come to them. If the person accepted the inspiration, they gave birth to a masterpiece.
Then, beginning with the Renaissance, the view began to shift. People moved away from the idea that creativity was something divine entering a human being. Instead, they started to believe that everything happened inside the human body or the human soul. The person became the genius. The spotlight and the glory and the pressure of creativity all fell onto the individual artist. We still carry that belief today. We think that if a person is a genius, it is because they are uniquely gifted. But the older view may hold a deeper truth. The genius comes to you. You do not have to be a genius yourself. You only need to be available.
Two Voices That Changed Everything
You might be thinking, "That is interesting, but I am not hearing voices. I am a very logical person. I do not want to hear voices." I used to think the same way. I told myself that I would never hear a loud thought or a mysterious voice because I was too rational. If I did not hear it, I was not going to pretend I did. But something happened that changed my mind.
Six years ago, my wife heard a loud, clear voice. It told her, "Buy big canvases and big brushes and start painting." It was just a small voice, but she listened. She did it. I was curious, so I jumped in too, and we both started painting. At the time, we had no idea that within a couple of months we would quit our jobs and become full-time artists. Now, six years later, we sell paintings internationally. Our artworks fly around the world much more than we do, and they travel without passports. I am a little jealous of that. But here is the important part: it all began with a tiny seed that my wife could have easily ignored.
Of course, you might be thinking, "That is your wife, not you. You are the logical one. What about your own experience?" Fair enough. A few years later, I was in my studio when I went to the toilet. I do not know why, but that is a magic place for me. Things seem to get finished there, and new things seem to be born there. While I was sitting there, a thought came to me: take that old video you have of a painting and re-edit it and post it online. I said to myself, "Okay, cute. I might do that." But the thought came back a second time, more insistent: "Do it now." I said, "Okay, maybe." Then it came a third time. And I finally said, "Okay, fine. I will sit down and do it."
So I edited the video and posted it. A few moments later, it had 10 million views. A few hours later, it had 100 million views. A few days later, it peaked at 240 million views. Now, you probably want to see the sophisticated painting that caused all that attention, right? The masterpiece from the genius in front of you? Let me tell you honestly. It was the most simple painting I have ever done. It took me only three to five seconds. I simply hit a branch on a canvas. That is it.
The television called me and said they wanted to interview me. I asked, "But why?" Then a Japanese television crew saw the video online and said they wanted to fly to my studio and film me. I thought, "What? Why?" They came and asked me how I did it. In Japanese, it sounded something like, "How did this happen?" I said, "I guess I went to the magic bathroom. I do not know." I might start sleeping in that bathroom from now on to have a successful career. But the truth is, all of this opened up so many opportunities for us. And it is still crazy to me that it came from one simple thought that I could have easily ignored.
Voices Throughout History
The history of invention and creativity is full of people who all say the same thing over and over again. Nikola Tesla said that his inventions came to him in visions. He could even see the machines and run tests on them in his mind before building them. Then there is the famous Eureka moment. The story of the brilliant man in the bathtub who suddenly understood the principle of buoyancy and ran through the streets yelling, "Eureka! Eureka!" Please do not run through the streets naked unless you have actually invented something. But the point stands: the idea arrived in a flash of attention.
Consider the invention of Tetris. The creator, Alexey Pajitnov, described seeing falling geometric figures descending from heaven. He did not set out with a massive master plan. He simply paid attention to a vision that appeared in his mind, and then he acted on it.
None of these people were born with a guarantee that they would receive these ideas. But they were available. They had removed the noise-cancelling headphones. They had opened their wide-angle lens.
Are You Available?
Now let me ask you a simple question. You are probably not Nikola Tesla. You are not the Eureka guy. You are not even me. And I bet you do not think of yourself as a genius. But what if the real question is not, "Are you a genius?" The real question is, "Are you available?" Are you available as a human being? Are you available to pay attention to what others may miss?
Here is a table that may help you see the difference between the two mindsets.
| Common Belief | Deeper Reality |
|---|---|
| Genius is rare, fixed, and belongs to special people. | Genius is a spirit or idea that comes to anyone who is available. |
| Creativity is about generating ideas through effort. | Creativity often begins with receiving ideas through attention. |
| Focus is always good and should never be interrupted. | Narrow focus can blind you to the right tool next to you. |
| You either have the gift or you do not. | You can practice opening your field of attention. |
| Ignore small thoughts; only big plans matter. | Small thoughts, when followed, can become 240 million views. |
The philosopher Arthur Schopenhauer once said, "Talent hits a target that nobody else can hit. Genius hits a target nobody else sees." That is the difference. The ordinary person is aiming at an obvious target. The genius is paying attention to a target that is invisible to most people. And the only way to see that invisible target is to widen your field of attention, to remove the headphones, and to stay available.
The Bird Under Your Seat
Now let me return to the beginning. Do you remember the first sentence I wrote? Probably not. I told you there is a treasure under your chair. Now I want you to actually reach down under your seat and feel around. You will find something there. It is a drawing that I made for you, especially for today. It is a drawing of a bird. That bird was under your seat the entire time you were reading this post. I even gave you the instruction at the very start. The only difference is that you probably did not pay attention. You did not believe that it was a practical, literal instruction.
This is not a trick. It is a demonstration. In the same way, life comes to you every day and tells you, "There is a bird. There is a masterpiece under your seat." The question is, what are you doing with that information? Are you willing to pay attention?
Five Takeaways to Turn Your Genius Mode On
- Remove the invisible headphones. Notice the voices and tools around you, even when you are busy.
- Change your lens. Instead of always using the super zoom focus, deliberately zoom out and observe the wider field.
- Do not dismiss the small thoughts. If a quiet idea keeps returning, treat it as a practical instruction, not a random mental event.
- Make yourself available. Genius is not something you possess; it is something you receive. Your only job is to be open.
- Act on the treasure. When life points to something under your seat, do not just nod. Reach down and grab it.
The genius mode is not a switch you flip on by becoming smarter. It is a door you open by becoming more attentive. The treasure is already there. The bird is already drawn. The only missing thing is your willingness to believe the instruction and act on it. So, are you available?
No comments:
Post a Comment