Wednesday, October 7, 2026

The High Cost of Bad Mental Habits: What You Are Really Paying When You Envy, Resent, and Feel Sorry for Yourself

See All Articles

The High Cost of Bad Mental Habits: What You Are Really Paying When You Envy, Resent, and Feel Sorry for Yourself

I have a friend whose life seems flawless. She lives in a beautiful home, has a career that clearly fulfills her, and spends her weekends on exciting family adventures. I sometimes joke that she must travel with a professional photographer because every photo she posts looks like a magazine spread. She is always talking about how blessed she feels and how grateful she is for the life she has. And here is the tricky part: she means it. She is not performing gratitude for the internet. She genuinely feels it.

Now be honest. Have you ever known someone like that? And have you ever, just for a moment, felt a quiet pang of resentment when you scrolled past their latest post? Most of us have. It is hard not to compare. It is hard not to think, Why do they have all the luck? It feels harmless in the moment. It is just five seconds of eye-rolling at your screen. What could it possibly cost you?

Researchers have found that envying your friends on social media actually leads to depression. Envy is not just an unpleasant emotion. It is a mental trap. And it is only one of many small, seemingly innocent habits that quietly drain us of something we desperately need: mental strength.

That way of thinking seems small in the moment. It might even give you a weird sense of temporary satisfaction. But over time, it eats away at your resilience, your focus, and your ability to move forward.

There are three types of destructive beliefs that rob us of mental strength. Understanding them is the first step toward reclaiming your power.

Three Destructive Beliefs That Hold You Back

1. Unhealthy Beliefs About Ourselves

We all feel sad when something bad happens. That is normal. But self-pity goes beyond sadness. It is when you start to magnify your misfortune. It is when you think, Why do these things always happen to me? I should not have to deal with this. That kind of thinking keeps you stuck. It keeps you focused on the problem instead of the solution. Even when you cannot create an ideal solution, you can almost always take steps to make your life or someone else's life better. But you cannot do that when you are busy hosting your own pity party.

2. Unhealthy Beliefs About Others

The second trap is believing that other people can control us. We give away our power every time we say things like, I have to work late or My mother-in-law drives me crazy. But as adults, most things in life are still a choice. Yes, there may be consequences if you do not work late. But it is still your decision. And yes, some people are difficult. But how you respond to them is entirely up to you. When you believe someone else has control over your emotions or your behavior, you hand them the keys to your mental well-being.

3. Unhealthy Beliefs About the World

We tend to think the world owes us something. We believe that if we work hard enough, we deserve success. But expecting success to fall into your lap like some kind of cosmic reward only leads to disappointment. Life is not a vending machine where you insert effort and automatically receive fairness. And the sooner we accept that, the freer we become.

These three beliefs feel automatic. They are mental habits we have practiced for years. But they come at a steep price. And sooner or later, life will demand every ounce of mental strength you can muster.

When Life Demanded Everything I Had

I learned this lesson in the most painful way possible.

When I was twenty-three, I thought I had life figured out. I had graduated from graduate school, landed my first big job as a therapist, gotten married, and even bought a house. I felt like I had a massive head start on success. What could possibly go wrong?

Then one day I got a phone call that changed everything. My sister told me our mother had been found unresponsive and had been taken to the hospital. My husband and I rushed there, unable to imagine what was wrong. My mother was only fifty-one. She had no history of health problems. But doctors explained she had suffered a brain aneurysm. Within twenty-four hours, my mother — the woman who woke up every morning saying, "It's a great day to be alive" — passed away.

The news was devastating. My mother and I had been incredibly close. As a therapist, I understood grief on an intellectual level. But knowing it and living it are two very different things. It took a long time before I felt like I was truly healing.

Then, on the three-year anniversary of my mother's death, some friends invited us to a basketball game. Coincidentally, it was being played in the same auditorium where I had last seen my mother alive. I had not been back there since. I was not sure I wanted to go. But my husband and I talked it over, and we decided it might be a good way to honor her memory.

So we went. And we actually had a wonderful time with our friends. On the drive home, we talked about how good it felt to finally return to that place and remember my mother with a smile instead of fresh grief. But shortly after we got home, my husband said he did not feel well. A few minutes later, he collapsed. I called for an ambulance. His family met me at the emergency room. We waited for what felt like forever. Then a doctor came out and took us to a private room. He explained that my husband — the most adventurous person I had ever met — was gone. He had suffered a heart attack at age twenty-six. No history of heart problems. No warning.

Just like that, I was a twenty-six-year-old widow. And I did not have my mother to help me through it. Describing that period as painful feels like an understatement.

It was during that time that I realized something important: when you are going through truly tough times, good habits are not enough. It only takes one or two small, destructive habits to hold you back. I worked hard not just to create good habits in my life, but to eliminate the tiny, toxic ones — no matter how insignificant they seemed.

Throughout it all, I held out hope that life could get better. And eventually, it did. A few years later, I met someone new. We fell in love, got remarried, sold the old house, bought a new one, and started fresh. But almost as quickly as I breathed a sigh of relief, we learned that his father had terminal cancer.

I felt the familiar thoughts creeping in: Why do these things keep happening to me? Why do I have to keep losing everyone I love? This is not fair. But if I had learned anything, it was that this way of thinking would hold me back. I knew I was going to need every bit of mental strength I could gather to get through one more loss. So I sat down and wrote a list of all the things mentally strong people do not do. I read that list over and over. I needed it. And within a few weeks of writing it, my father-in-law passed away.

Mental Strength Is Like Physical Strength

My journey taught me that the secret to being mentally strong is not just adding positive habits. It is also giving up the destructive ones.

Think of it this way: if you wanted to become physically strong, you would go to the gym and lift weights. But if you really wanted results, you would also have to stop eating junk food. Mental strength works the same way. Practicing gratitude is essential. But resenting someone else's success will always hold you back. You cannot out-exercise a bad diet, and you cannot out-gratitude a bitter mind.

Physical Strength vs. Mental Strength
Aspect Physical Strength Mental Strength
What to add Exercise, lifting weights, consistent training Gratitude, healthy self-talk, resilience practice
What to give up Junk food, excessive sugar, sedentary habits Self-pity, envy, resentment, power-leaking beliefs
Results take time Muscles build gradually Neural pathways change gradually
Key mindset Discipline over motivation Countering unhealthy beliefs with healthier ones

How to Rewire Your Thinking

So how do you train your brain to think differently? How do you give up bad mental habits you have carried for years?

It starts with countering those three unhealthy beliefs with healthier alternatives.

Unhealthy Beliefs About Yourself

Most of our self-pity comes from avoiding uncomfortable feelings. Feeling sad, hurt, angry, or scared is unpleasant. So we go to great lengths to escape that discomfort. Hosting a pity party is a temporary distraction, but it only prolongs the pain. The only way to move through uncomfortable emotions is to go through them. Let yourself feel sad. Then move forward. Each time you survive a difficult feeling, you gain confidence in your ability to handle discomfort.

Unhealthy Beliefs About Others

We get into trouble when we compare ourselves to other people. We see them as above us or below us. We think they can control how we feel, or that we can control how they behave. We blame them for holding us back. But in reality, our own choices do that. You have to accept that you are your own person, and other people are separate from you. The only person you should compare yourself to is the person you were yesterday.

Unhealthy Beliefs About the World

Deep down, we want the world to be fair. We want to believe that if we put in enough good deeds, good things will happen to us. We want to believe that if we tough it out through enough bad times, we will get a reward. But life is not fair. And accepting that can actually be liberating. It means you will not necessarily be rewarded for your goodness. But it also means that no matter how much you have suffered, you are not doomed to keep suffering. The world does not work that way. Your world is what you make it.

"Before you can change your world, you have to believe that you can change it."

The Man Who Started with One Small Step

I once worked with a man who had been diabetic for years. His doctor referred him to therapy because his mental habits were starting to affect his physical health. His mother had died from complications of diabetes at a young age, so he believed he was doomed. He had given up trying to manage his blood sugar altogether.

In fact, his blood sugar had gotten so high that it was affecting his vision. He lost his driver's license, and his world began to shrink. When he came into my office, he clearly knew everything he could do to manage his condition. He just did not think it was worth the effort.

But eventually, he agreed to make one tiny change. He said, "I will give up my two-liter-a-day soda habit and switch to diet soda." He could not believe how quickly his numbers improved. Even though he came in every week to tell me how horrible diet soda tasted, he stuck with it. Once he saw a little progress, he said, "Maybe I could look at some of my other habits too." He traded his nightly bowl of ice cream for a lower-sugar snack. Then one day, he found a beat-up old exercise bike at a thrift store. He bought it for a couple of dollars, parked it in front of his television, and started pedaling while he watched his favorite shows.

Not only did he lose weight, but one day he noticed he could see the television just a little more clearly than before. It occurred to him that maybe the damage to his eyesight was not permanent. So he set a new goal: to get his driver's license back. From that day forward, he was on fire. By the end of our time together, he was coming in every week asking, "What are we going to do this week?"

He finally believed he could change his world. He believed he had the mental strength to do it. And it all started with one small step.

Key Takeaways

  • Envy is not harmless. Resenting others' success can lead to depression and drains your mental energy.
  • Three destructive beliefs hold most people back: unhealthy beliefs about yourself, about others, and about the world.
  • Self-pity keeps you stuck. The only way out of painful emotions is through them.
  • No one controls your feelings but you. Saying "I have to" or "they drive me crazy" gives away your power.
  • Life is not fair — and that is freeing. You are not doomed to keep suffering, but you are also not owed a reward.
  • Mental strength works like physical strength. You need to add healthy habits and eliminate unhealthy ones.
  • One small step can spark a transformation. Believe you can change, then take that first step today.

Final Thoughts

So I invite you to consider what bad mental habits are holding you back. What unhealthy beliefs are keeping you from being as mentally strong as you could be? Maybe it is the habit of comparing yourself to that friend whose life looks perfect online. Maybe it is the habit of feeling sorry for yourself when things go wrong. Maybe it is the habit of believing the world owes you something.

You cannot always control what happens to you. But you can always control how you respond. And that response starts in the quiet corners of your mind, where small destructive beliefs take root.

What is one small step you could take today, right here, right now, to reclaim your mental strength?

No comments:

Post a Comment