The Premortem: How to Plan for Life's Worst Moments Before They Happen
A few years ago, I broke into my own house. It was around midnight in the dead of a Montreal winter. The thermometer on the front porch read minus 40 degrees. Don't bother asking if that's Celsius or Fahrenheit; at minus 40, the two scales meet. It was very, very cold. I had just driven home from visiting a friend across town, and as I stood on the front porch fumbling in my pockets, I realized I didn't have my keys. In fact, I could see them through the window, lying on the dining room table where I had left them. I tried every door and window. All locked tight. I thought about calling a locksmith, but it was midnight, freezing, and I had an early flight to Europe the next morning. I needed my passport and suitcase. Desperate, I grabbed a large rock and smashed through the basement window. I crawled through, taped a piece of cardboard over the broken pane, and planned to call a contractor in the morning.
That night, my brain was doing what brains do under stress: it released cortisol, raised my heart rate, and clouded my thinking. But I didn't know my thinking was cloudy because my thinking was cloudy. So the next morning, on about two hours of sleep, I got to the airport check-in and realized I didn't have my passport. I raced home through snow and ice, got the passport, raced back, and made it just in time—but they had given away my seat. I spent eight hours on a non-reclining seat next to the bathroom. That gave me plenty of time to think.
What could I have done differently? What systems could I put in place to prevent such disasters, or at least minimize the damage when they happen? That's the essence of a powerful mental tool called the premortem. Let me share what I've learned, not just from that freezing night but from a conversation that changed how I approach decisions—especially medical ones.
What Is a Premortem?
We all know what a postmortem is: after a disaster, experts come in to figure out what went wrong. A premortem flips that on its head. Instead of looking back after a failure, you look ahead and imagine that the failure has already happened. Then you ask, "What could have caused this? What can I do now to prevent it or reduce the damage?"
The idea comes from the field of prospective hindsight, popularized by psychologist Gary Klein and Nobel Prize-winning economist Daniel Kahneman. Kahneman has practiced premortems for years. The concept is simple but profound: don't wait for the crisis to think clearly. By the time stress hits, it's too late. Plan now, when your mind is calm.
In this article, I'll walk through practical premortems for everyday life, plus a critical one for medical decision-making that could literally save your life or spare you unnecessary harm.
The Science Behind Why We Fail Under Stress
Understanding why we need premortems starts with the brain. Under acute stress, the brain releases cortisol. Cortisol is toxic in high doses and directly clouds thinking. It's evolutionarily useful—if a lion is chasing you, you don't need to solve algebra problems. You need to run. So the body shuts down non-essential functions like digestion, immune response, and higher-level reasoning. That's fine for escaping predators, but terrible for modern life, where stress often comes from deadlines, medical decisions, or lost keys.
There's also a fascinating piece of neuroscience about why we lose things like car keys, reading glasses, and passports. Deep in the brain is a structure called the hippocampus. It evolved over tens of thousands of years to keep track of the locations of important things—where the well is, where fish can be found, where friendly and enemy tribes live. London taxi drivers, who must memorize thousands of streets, actually have enlarged hippocampi. Squirrels rely on the hippocampus to find their buried nuts. In one experiment, researchers cut off squirrels' sense of smell and they still found their nuts. They weren't using scent; they were using spatial memory.
But the hippocampus is optimized for things that don't move around much. It's not great at tracking objects you carry with you and set down in random places. That's why we lose keys and glasses. The solution? Designate a fixed spot for each item and be scrupulous about using it. A hook by the door for keys. A particular drawer for your passport. A specific table for your reading glasses. When you always put things in the same place, your hippocampus has only one location to remember. Simple but powerful.
Everyday Premortems: Small Systems, Big Peace of Mind
Here are some basic premortem strategies you can implement today.
1. Designate a home for easily lost items
As just explained, your spatial memory works best when objects have a fixed location. Install a hook for keys, a bowl for small items, a drawer for passports. It sounds like common sense, but the science backs it up. Make the spot obvious and convenient, and you'll never waste twenty minutes searching again.
2. Digitize your important documents
Before traveling, take cell phone pictures of your credit cards, driver's license, and passport. Email them to yourself so they're stored in the cloud. If those items are lost or stolen, you'll have instant access to the information you need to begin replacement. This is a premortem for the "lost passport" scenario. A few minutes of preparation can save hours of panic.
3. Plan for mechanical failures
After my Montreal fiasco, I had a contractor install a combination lock next to my front door with a key inside. Easy to remember, always accessible. That's a premortem for "I locked myself out again." Think about your own recurring vulnerabilities. Do you often run out of gas? Keep a spare charger in the car? Plan for your most likely failures.
The Medical Premortem: Asking the Right Questions Before You Need To
There is perhaps no more stressful situation than facing a medical decision for yourself or a loved one. Under that stress, your brain is flooded with cortisol. You're not thinking clearly. That's why the premortem is especially vital here: you must think through the questions now, while you're calm, so you can ask them later when it matters.
Suppose you visit your doctor and she says, "Your cholesterol is a little high. I'd like to prescribe a statin." Statins are among the most widely prescribed drugs in the world. You probably know people who take them. You think, "Sure, give me the prescription." But there's a statistic you should ask about before you accept—a statistic most doctors don't like discussing and pharmaceutical companies like even less. It's called the Number Needed to Treat, or NNT.
The NNT is the number of people who need to take a drug or undergo a surgery before one person is actually helped. You might assume the number is one—that your doctor wouldn't prescribe something unless it will help you. But medical practice doesn't work that way. Not because doctors are bad, but because scientists like me haven't yet figured out why some people respond to treatments and others don't. In fact, GlaxoSmithKline estimates that 90% of drugs work in only 30 to 50% of people.
For the most widely prescribed statin, the NNT is 300. That means 300 people need to take that drug for a year before one heart attack, stroke, or other adverse event is prevented. Now, you might think, "Okay, a 1 in 300 chance of benefit. Why not take it anyway?" But you should also ask about the side effects. For that same statin, side effects occur in about 5% of patients. They include debilitating muscle and joint pain and gastrointestinal distress. Now do the math: 300 people take the drug. One person is helped. Five percent of 300 is 15 people who experience side effects. You are 15 times more likely to be harmed by the drug than to be helped by it.
This is not to say you should never take a statin. It's to say you should have this conversation with your doctor. Medical ethics requires it, under the principle of informed consent. You have the right to know the NNT and the side-effect profile before deciding whether the risks are worth the benefits for you, specifically.
The Numbers Behind Common Procedures
Statin therapy is just one example. Let's look at another: the most widely performed surgery on men over 50—removal of the prostate for cancer. The NNT for that surgery is 49. That means 49 surgeries are performed before one person is actually helped. And the side effects occur in 50% of patients. Those side effects include impotence, erectile dysfunction, urinary incontinence, rectal tearing, and fecal incontinence. Some are temporary, but many are not. Knowing this, would you still choose surgery? Maybe, if the cancer is aggressive. Maybe not, if it's low-risk and slow-growing. But you need the data to make an informed choice.
A premortem approach means researching these numbers ahead of time, or at least knowing to ask for them, so that when you're sitting in the exam room, stressed and scared, you don't just nod along. You ask: "What is the Number Needed to Treat? What are the side effects? How likely am I to be helped versus harmed?"
Comparison Table: NNT and Side Effects
| Treatment | Number Needed to Treat (NNT) | Side Effect Rate | Likelihood of Harm vs. Help |
|---|---|---|---|
| Statin (most prescribed type) | 300 | 5% | 15 times more likely to be harmed than helped |
| Prostate removal for cancer | 49 | 50% | About 25 people harmed for every 1 helped (49 x 50% = 24.5) |
These numbers are not meant to scare you away from medicine. They're meant to empower you. A premortem for medical decisions means you think about trade-offs ahead of time. You discuss with your family and your doctors what quality of life means to you. Would you prefer a shorter life that's relatively pain-free, or a longer life that may involve significant pain or disability? There's no right answer, but there is a right time to think about it: before the crisis.
The Bigger Picture: We're All Flawed
The core insight of the premortem is not that we can eliminate all mistakes. We're human. We will fail. But we can anticipate our failures and put systems in place to reduce their frequency and severity. When I got back from that Europe trip, I installed a combination lock next to the door with a key inside. I still have piles of unsorted mail and emails, but I see organization as a gradual process. I'm getting there.
You don't have to be perfect. You just have to think ahead. Ask yourself: "What's most likely to go wrong in my life? What small system can I implement to prevent it or soften the blow?"
Your Own Premortem Checklist
Here's a practical checklist to start your own premortem practice. None of these take more than a few minutes, but they can save you enormous stress later.
- Designate a fixed spot for your keys, wallet, passport, glasses, and other frequently lost items.
- Take photos of all critical documents (passport, license, credit cards, insurance cards) and email them to yourself.
- Before agreeing to any medical treatment, ask your doctor for the Number Needed to Treat and the side-effect rate. Do the math: compare how many are helped versus how many are harmed.
- Have a conversation with your loved ones about quality-of-life preferences. Write down your wishes in an advance directive if you're comfortable.
- Identify your most common personal failures (losing things, forgetting appointments, running late) and design one simple system to address each.
- Accept that you will still make mistakes. The goal is not perfection, but resilience—bouncing back faster and with less damage.
A Final Thought
The premortem is a gift of foresight. It's the difference between being a victim of circumstance and being a person who plans for storms while the sun still shines. The next time you feel that cortisol rising—when the keys are missing, the test results are in, the decision is heavy—you'll be ready. Not because you're smarter or calmer in that moment, but because you already did the thinking when your mind was clear. That is the power of looking ahead.
Forewarned is forearmed. And in a world full of minus-40 nights and broken basement windows, a little forethought goes a long way.
No comments:
Post a Comment