All Book Summaries Book Index Next »
Once a young student traveled many miles to find a famous spiritual master. When he finally met this man, he told him that his main goal in life was to be the wisest man in the land. This is why he needed the best teacher. Seeing the young boy's enthusiasm, the master agreed to share his knowledge with him and took him under his wing. 'How long will it take before I find enlightenment?' the boy immediately asked. 'At least five years,' replied the master. 'That is too long,' said the boy. 'I cannot wait five years! What if I study twice as hard as the rest of your students?' 'Ten years,' came the response. 'Ten years! Well, then how about if I studied day and night, with every ounce of my mental concentration? Then how long would it take for me to become the wise man that I've always dreamed of becoming?' 'Fifteen years,' replied the master. The boy grew very frustrated. 'How come every time I tell you I will work harder to reach my goal, you tell me it will take longer?' 'The answer is clear,' said the teacher. 'With one eye focused on the reward, there is only one eye left to focus on your purpose.'”
No comments:
Post a Comment