Saturday, August 15, 2026

The New Programming Language Is Clarity: What AI Is Really Changing

```html See All Articles

The New Programming Language Is Clarity: What AI Is Really Changing

Some evenings look uneventful from the outside and yet rearrange everything inside you. I had one of those nights not long ago. I was sitting at my desk after a full workday, staring at a screen full of small coding exercises I was preparing for my students. Teaching has always been part of my purpose, something I carve out of evenings and weekends. But that night, a question surfaced that I could not push away: am I spending my limited hours preparing people for a craft that AI is about to erase?

The irony was not lost on me. In my professional life, I am an AI expert. I spend my days helping developers integrate AI into their workflows. I have watched these tools evolve from clumsy autocomplete systems to genuinely powerful collaborators. I use them daily. So this was not a distant headline for me. I was not hearing "programming is dead" from some talking head. I was watching it happen inside my own editor, where entire functions and features now materialize from a few descriptive sentences.

The question stung more than I expected, because programming is not just my job. It has been part of my identity for most of my life. And teaching has been part of my purpose. That night, instead of writing another exercise, my mind drifted back to the beginning.

The Magic of the Commodore 128

In 1987, when I was a teenager, I got my first computer: a Commodore 128. By today's standards, it was practically useless. No meaningful memory, no fancy graphics, and of course no internet. And yet it changed my life completely. I spent hours typing code from computer magazines, line by line, page by page. Most of the time, it did not work. One missing character, one typo, and nothing happened. But when it did work, when a small pattern emerged on the screen, it felt like magic.

I remember writing my first nested loop that drew patterns. I was absurdly proud of that program. I showed it to my parents, my grandparents, anyone who would look. I even walked into a local electronics store and typed my little program into the Commodore computers they had on display. Patterns emerged. Lines appeared. The salespeople were impressed. They started using my program to sell machines to parents: "You see? Programming is the future."

For me, programming felt a lot like music. I imagined something in my head and then translated it into code. Computer magazines were my sheet music, and the pixels on the screen were my sound. At that age, programming was not about technology at all. It was about expression, about turning ideas into something real. And I knew then that this was what I wanted to do every day for the rest of my life.

The Grief Nobody Talks About

Fast forward to today. Everywhere I go, I hear the same sentence: programming is dead. People say it with excitement, with relief, sometimes with pride. AI writes the code now. You describe what you want and it is done. Technically, they are not entirely wrong.

But the strange part is this: the problem is not that AI can write better code than we can. The problem is that AI takes away the part many of us fell in love with. I see this among experienced developers constantly. People who did not choose this career for prestige but because they genuinely love building things with code. And suddenly they ask themselves: if the machine does this, what is left of me?

This resistance is not fear of technology. It is grief.

Imagine a carpenter. Someone who loves the smell of wood, the resistance of the material, the feeling of shaping something with their own hands. Now imagine a robot that can do the same work faster, more precisely, without breaks. Of course the carpenter could learn to program the robot. But something essential would be gone. Not the result. The process. That is exactly what many developers are struggling with right now.

The Contradiction I Could Not Ignore

And yet, there was a contradiction I had to confront. I work with AI every day, and personally, I do not feel fear or grief. I have more fun developing software than I have had in many years. According to the headlines, I was supposed to feel obsolete. According to the narrative, I was supposed to feel replaced. But when I open my editor and work with AI, I feel powerful.

Not because AI is doing the work for me, but because the distance between idea and reality has drastically shortened. The feeling reminds me of being a teenager again. A few lines of code were enough to create something that amazed me. Not because the code was perfect, but because I had made something happen. Psychologists call this self-efficacy: the feeling that my ideas can change reality. Decades later, working with AI, I recognize that feeling again.

That is when I realized something important. I was never in love primarily with coding. I was in love with developing. With building mental models. With shaping ideas. With turning vague thoughts into something usable. Code was just the tool.

Developer, Not Just a Coder

Programming languages were always just abstractions. They freed me from thinking about registers and memory addresses and machine code. AI is simply another abstraction layer. Powerful, yes. But still a tool. It does not replace what I do. It changes the level at which I do it. It does not shrink my role. It expands it. The goals I aim for are bigger now. The ideas I can explore are more ambitious. AI does not take away my creativity. It removes friction.

But that still leaves the original pain, because I genuinely love coding. The mental challenge of describing something with limited means. Precise syntax. Precise semantics. I do not want to lose that. So what happens to coding itself?

Why Coding Refuses to Die

Coding is not going to disappear. We still play chess even though machines beat us every single time. We still run, we still cycle, we still sail, even though engines are faster and more efficient. Efficiency was never the point. Experience was. The fact that something is no longer the most efficient path does not make it worthless.

Coding will stay, not because it is the fastest way to build software, but because it is a powerful way to train a certain kind of thinking. Coding teaches precision, logic, patience. It teaches you what it feels like when a computer does exactly what you told it to do. Maybe one day we will even value software that was handmade, precisely because it is not efficient. It is intentional.

There is another reason coding still matters. AI makes mistakes. It will make fewer over time, certainly, but it will not make zero. The last few percentages between almost correct and actually correct are expensive and valuable. That is where people who truly understand code become incredibly valuable. Not to write everything, but to know what is wrong. To debug. To verify. To close the gap.

Every Profession Will Face This

This story is not only about programmers. Developers are the canary in the coal mine. We are the first profession to experience this collision at full scale, but every profession will face its own version. The answer is not to fight the tool. The answer is to find the layer above it.

For me, that layer was: I am not just a coder, I am a developer. For a designer, it might be: I am not a pixel pusher, I am a visual thinker. For a writer: I am not a sentence crafter, I am a storyteller. For a doctor: I am not a diagnosis machine, I am a healer who understands context, fear, and hope.

The New Programming Language Is Clarity

This brings me to teaching, because if my identity as a developer has changed, then what I pass on has to change too. Does it still make sense to learn coding without AI? Yes, absolutely. We teach many things not because everyone will turn professional, but because they shape how we think. Not everyone who writes an essay becomes a professional writer. Not everyone who learns calculus becomes a mathematician. Coding can be part of a general education, like math, language, and music.

But how we teach it must change, because with AI, natural language becomes a programming interface. And this is the thesis I want you to remember: the new programming language is clarity.

For years, programming was about translating ideas into syntax. But syntax is no longer the bottleneck. Clarity is. Can you describe what you want? Can you provide examples? Can you set constraints? Can you explain what good looks like to you? Can you test whether the result matches the intent? Communication becomes a technical skill. Diagrams matter. Examples matter. Shared understanding matters.

And this is not just true for programming. When a lawyer uses AI, clarity matters. When a designer prompts an image generator, clarity matters. When a manager delegates tasks to AI agents, clarity matters. The skill of turning a fuzzy idea into a precise specification used to be a programmer superpower. Now it is becoming a universal requirement.

What This Means for Teaching

So here is where I landed after that evening at my desk. I did not stop teaching. But I stopped thinking of myself as someone who teaches syntax. I teach agency. I teach clarity. I teach the craft of turning ideas into reality across abstraction layers.

I still love coding. I genuinely do. But I no longer define my entire professional identity with it. The center has moved, and that is okay. Because I am not just a coder. I am a developer. And my new programming language is clarity.

Criticisms

  • A narrative of obsolescence has been pushed by certain tech media outlets without adequate nuance or acknowledgement of the grief experienced by practitioners.
  • Simplistic pronouncements about the death of programming have been issued by prominent technology executives, often without engaging with the educational and psychological dimensions of the shift.
  • AI coding tools have been marketed by some companies as wholesale replacements for human developers rather than as collaborative instruments that change the level of human work.
  • Educational curricula have been left largely untouched by many institutions in the face of rapid AI advancement, leaving students caught between outdated syllabi and a transformed job market.
  • Insufficient public investment has been directed toward retraining programs for workers facing AI-driven disruption, despite early and visible signals from the software industry.
  • A false binary between "human coding" and "AI coding" has been reinforced by public discourse, obscuring the more useful question of how the two can coexist across abstraction layers.
```

No comments:

Post a Comment