Tuesday, January 12, 2021

Journal (about English, Hindi and my mom)



Language is a means through which people communicate. It could be English, Hindi or Punjabi, for example. My first choice of using a language would be English as it is the language of business, law and academia in general. I also know Hindi and some amount of Punjabi since I’m in Chandigarh since 2018. My granddad knows five, viz., Hindi, English, Punjabi, Urdu and Sanskrit. My mom knows Hindi since it is the language that everyone uses in the Delhi and neighboring region. She also knows some amount of English, but it is not worth counting. 
It would be very useful if she or any other person could understand English because that is the language in which information is present on the internet. English is the language in which user manuals for any device or equipment is written. The information that you might receive via SMS from your bank or your telecom operator or electricity provider would be in English. 
But alas, knowing English does not mean that you also have gained communication skills, that you can express yourself and understand the other person as well.
My friend Geeta Gulati was speaking to my mom and she asked her what kind of girl my mom would like as her daughter-in-law, and my mom said, “someone who is sanskaari and paarivaarik”. For non-Hindi speakers, I’d explain, “Sanskaari” means someone having moral values, etiquettes and manners. “Paarivaarik” means someone who values family and respects her or his family. Adding ‘family-oriented’ to the meaning of “Paarivaarik” would be like stretching it to an extreme. 
To refer to diet preferences, my mom said "shuddh shaakaahaari", which means vegetarian.
My end note for this post would be that a person should keep learning a language or languages if there are more than one for self-improvement, but some flexibility should be allowed when we are not examining the grammar knowledge of a person.

No comments:

Post a Comment